Friday, August 10, 2012

Me vs. Myself

I have a confession to make. I used to be very confused in regards to what I needed to follow in order to be an obedient and "good" Christian. I would lay down in my bed at night and pray that God show me a way and I would ask myself, "what is your will Lord?" Every time I would sit and pray I would hear my father's words running through my head. "If you love me, obey me"... That's when it hit me, I realized that love is obedience and that if I wanted to be more like him I would have to obey him... Well, that didn't help too much but was a start in my journey. As I poured through the bible I began to see some interesting patterns in regards to what Christ stated was disobedience. I would read verses where Christ would talk about how we can serve only two masters and when Christ told us to "pick up our crosses and follow him". Then the spirit redirected me to a phrase I had heard throughout my childhood. "I must decrease so that he can increase"... Then I realized something, right and wrong become painfully simple. It's a case of me versus Christ. Everyday I wake up do I follow his will or my own. Sin is not simply disobeying certain rules and regulations that were set forth in the Old/ New Testament. Sin is choosing to put ourselves on a higher pedestal and making our flesh to idol of our life. The spirit is there for the purpose of revealing the heart or "spirit" of our actions, telling us if they are of God or of our own flesh. How wonderful it is that we have a spirit that directs us and guides us, if we let it. It reminds me of Paul when he says, "I do the things I don't want to do, and I don't do the things I want to do". To obey is to follow God with our hearts and actions. Sometimes we'll fall, but we must not stay on the ground and allow our flesh to undo our work. We must pick ourselves up and help us love one another and bring out the spirit within us all, that flame within us that lights the world. For it to be so simple relieves and saddens me, it relieves me because I know the path that I am on and I need only listen to the spirit for guidance. It saddens me because there exists a group of Christians that are chained to the old ways, reading and obeying the laws and disregarding the true law Christ intended for us. At the end of the day it becomes a battle of Me vs. Myself. I'm my own enemy and I must choose to decrease so that he may increase within me and within my world.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob-

    Thank you so much for sharing this post. I share your struggle as I am constantly confronted with the choice between "what I desire" and "what He desires for me."

    There is a passage in scripture that proclaims that Papa God will give us the desires of our hearts. Oftentimes, we interpret that to mean if we desire something, He will provide it as a sort of reward for acting according to rules - like some sort of prize. I am now coming to realize that He literally places very specific desires within me (in my heart - the essence of who I am) such that I begin to take ownership of His best for me. He literally gives me the desires of my heart by placing them there, when I get out of the way and allow him to do so.

    Imagine a white board. Clean, blank, ready to be written on. Do you write on the board for yourself and define your wants, needs and desires OR do you hand the dry-erase markers to the Maker of Heaven and Earth, Papa God, the Creator of all things?

    When I put the markers down - He is allowed to pick them up and point me in the right direction.

    When I hastily write on the board, usually based upon my fleshly desires, I need to obey the Spirit, pick up the eraser, and ready the board for His Holy Handwriting (sounds like Moses in the desert...in a way).

    Keep up the good fight, your flesh (and mine) have been defeated on the Cross. The only way flesh has an upper hand is if we give it away.

    ReplyDelete